When I type “God” into Google, I get this : “about 68,800,000 for god [definition]. (0.11 seconds)”. That means I got approximately sixty eight million, eight hundred thousand “hits” or references to god in Google’s database of the internet. If I click on the word “definition” I am transported to the site http://www.answers.com/god&r=67 where I am given the definition :
a. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.
2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
4. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
5. A very handsome man.
6. A powerful ruler or despot.
[Middle English, from Old English.]
Who’d have thought to go to a dictionary? The search took 0.11 seconds. Perhaps not surprisingly, when I type “sex” I get this: “about 91,400,000 for sex [definition]. (0.07 seconds)” where I get this definition:
a. The property or quality by which organisms are classified as female or male on the basis of their reproductive organs and functions.
b. Either of the two divisions, designated female and male, of this classification.
2. Females or males considered as a group.
3. The condition or character of being female or male; the physiological, functional, and psychological differences that distinguish the female and the male. See Usage Note at gender.
4. The sexual urge or instinct as it manifests itself in behavior.
5. Sexual intercourse.
6. The genitals.
tr.v., sexed, sex·ing, sex·es.
1. To determine the sex of (an organism).
a. To arouse sexually. Often used with up.
b. To increase the appeal or attractiveness of. Often used with up.
[Middle English, from Latin sexus.]
Although sex outdoes god by two million, two hundred sixty thousand, “love” returned one hundred seventy nine million, outdoing sex by eighty seven million, six hundred thousand. If, as my wife claims, God is love, then God beats sex hands down. (Money had two hundred one million hits. Maybe you can buy love.)